Health and wellbeing are fundamental to music-making at all levels, but also across all areas of the industry – management, production, crew. And many in the music industry in New Zealand do not feel equipped or trained when it comes to wellbeing issues.
The Music Managers Forum New Zealand and MusicHelps have come together to present a series of sessions designed to improve the mental health and wellbeing literacy of music managers and self managed artists, to empower the music community to better monitor themselves and to reach out and give practical support to those around them, and to impart a greater understanding of the framework of assistance and support that exists for people experiencing mental health and wellbeing issues.
Experienced MusicHelps counsellor and registered psychologist Grant Gunning will run the seminars and the key topics will be:
- Identifying support networks for artists and managers – key relationships, support people and value/qualities each represents or provides
- Understand group dynamics – normalising the ups and downs of bands/creative projects and the life-cycle of groups
- Recognising indicators of concern – recognising when mental/emotional life or wellbeing is suffering in managers and artists and how to articulate this
- Protective factors: what are the risks and how can protective measures be put in place
- Mental health and wellbeing support in the NZ health system: what happens if you or your client engages with the NZ health system
- Locating resources and avenues of assistance– where to go, who to call, avenues of support and intervention.
MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING SEMINARS
Tues 19 March
The Bank Space, Grey Lynn
6pm – 8pm
Tuesday 26 March
Distinction Hotel, Cathedral Square, Christchurch
6pm – 8pm
Wed 27 March
Dunedin Public Library, 230 Moray Place, Dunedin
6pm – 8pm
Thanks to a Recorded Music NZ Music Grant, the Health Promotion Agency, the NZ Music Managers Forum and MusicHelps, these seminars are FREE and open to all. RSVP is essential to secure your seat.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org Please specify which city you will be attending.